Sunday, November 2, 2008

"In this one, you are..."

Friday night, after midnight, I wrote the first words for my mini-NaMeWriMo. As I said before, I had some things I wanted to write about the time around my mother's death. I started that, but I have to admit I was getting a bit bored. Today, I was just doing a chronology: this happened and then that happened and then that happened. It wasn't much beyond words on a page. Yes, that's what I'm after, but being bored this earlier wasn't working. So I pulled one of the books off my shelf for an exercise: Writing Alone and with Others by Pat Schneider. I did the "In This One, You Are" exercise. You think of a photograph, an actual one or just a mental one. You choose a person in the photo and stat with "In this one, you are...." And you go from there. I liked it, and I might do it again, might pull out a box of photos and pick one at random.

At any rate, I wrote today and upped the counter in the sidebar. Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment