Sunday, November 20, 2011

Chris Brown, Police Violence, Macbeth, and More

  • With the power outage, I have not been able to read a couple of things I had marked a few weeks ago, like this interview with Lee Gutkind about narrative medicine.  CNF may be offering an online course in it next year.  That could be interesting.  I do wonder, though, if we are starting to create a false category with "narrative medicine" since so much can go under it.  But you can get an MA in it.
  • This tweet from Elon James White is fantastic.  After years of unarmed black men sometimes being not just shot but killed by police, it seems especially poignant.  Now white people are experiencing something that has become normal for so many.
  • Chris Brown will never get it.  He thinks that his beating of Rhianna should never be mentioned again.  As I wrote over at Vulture, "If Jane Fonda can still get called Hanoi Jane by some people for things she did thirty years ago that were not crimes, Chris Brown needs to accept that this will follow him for the rest of his life, especially since it's a felony, and those are supposed to follow you the rest of your life. It's why you have to report all felony convictions whenever you apply for anything like a job or passport. Don't plead guilty to a crime if you can't do that time. And for felonies, that time is, in some form, forever."  These outbursts of his (like the one a few months ago after Good Morning America) signal that he may just lose it sometime and assault a reporter or someone else, and then it'll be real jail time.  But he can get help; he just has to get it now.
  • Several people pointed me to this article about how female comedians can supposedly get away with things male comedians cannot, like joking about rape.  I didn't leave a comment over there, but I almost asked why women who have never been raped have a greater chance of getting away with joking about rape than a man who has been raped.
  • I (barely) got tickets to see Sleep No More my last night in NYC.  I really can't wait.  I always feel like I miss the big stuff, but I won't be missing this one.  Since there's no dialogue, I think I need to reread Macbeth for the first time in over twenty years so I can catch how the movement, costumes, and set design are telling the story.  Supposedly, every line of the play is embedded somewhere (and the play is free on Amazon).

No comments:

Post a Comment