Friday, December 17, 2010

Lesson Learned

I would not say I have fully learned it, but last year, I learned to believe in myself more.  In college, I was an English major specializing in the writing of poetry.  You know why?  Because poems are short.  If one didn't go well, I could move on.  The thought of committing to a long writing project, spending all semester on a short story or something longer felt potentially like too much of a waste of time.  But this past year, for reasons that have been mentioned in other posts this month, I started to think about the kinds of projects I have on my plate.  I started to think about the number of unfinished projects on my plate.  I started to think of good ideas that would take a pretty good amount of time to complete.  Professionally, I said no to more than I have in the past so I could make time for my own work, more time than I've made for it in the past.

By this time next year, I will have more to show from what I have learned this year about the need to believe in myself and commit to more.  And it will keep growing from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment