Sunday, October 18, 2009

Why, Yes, I am a Geek, Thank You Very Much

Does anyone need further evidence as to how big of a geek I am? Anyone? Well, I'm sitting in a hotel in NYC downright excited about spending the next few hours in this easy chair, my legs up on an ottoman, and working away on my netbook. The class I'm auditing at NYU is having a filed trip tomorrow morning. I wasn't sure if I'd do it since it was in the morning, but I went to Priceline, put in an insanely low price for a four-star hotel in the financial district, and it was accepted. I thought about going to a movie or a museum or hanging out with people, but with the insanity of the last few weeks, the thought of just sitting here for a few hours and getting some computer work done made me very happy. So that's the plan. I was going to order room service, but I may explore other options since a bottle of coke is six dollars. But here's to hoping that Amazing Race is not incredibly delayed tonight and that I can make some headway into a few things.

The class I'm auditing is on the first amendment, speech act theory, and performance studies, and we're going to a couple of the court houses tomorrow. After that, I have a meeting with a reference librarian to work on my essay on rape jokes. I'm finding it hard to believe that nothing has been written about them, so I'm hoping he can help me make sure I've explored everything.

I'm staying at the same hotel where we stayed a few years ago that looks directly down into Ground Zero. They've made some progress in the last couple of years. It's odd to sit here with the windows looking down into it at my back. I wonder if anyone was here in the room when it happened.

For now, I'll just get some work done. I'm sure my students will be happy to get their essays back. I know I'll be happy about it.

Oh, by the way, my advice for using Priceline to get a good room in NYC is to select only four-star hotels in the financial district. I haven't always gotten a room, but I've gotten great rooms at cheap rates more often than note. It may not work for everyone, but it's worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment