Friday, March 27, 2009

Guess I Better Stop Complaining

The last couple of days have been kind of rough. Two people asked me at separate times if I was okay because I just didn't look the same. It really wasn't anything except a pile of emails and such from people needing things now and acting like their request had to be my first priority. It was nuts. Tuesday night, no problems. Wednesday and Thursday, just demand after demand after demand. And it was visibly wearing on me.

Then today arrives. And I gotta stop complaining.

First, I received word that the article that I have been writing since 2006 on representations of African-American girls with AIDS has been officially accepted by a nice women's studies journal. It will appear in print in 2010. Damn, it's been a long time coming, and it'll be a long time until it's out, but the hard work is certainly done.

Second, I found out that I've been accepted into one of the NYU week-long seminars this June. I thought for sure that they were going to say that I'd done enough and that other people needed a chance, but I really worked on my application because this seminar on art and public policy will really help with a class I'm teaching this fall. Frankly, it was my best application, so I'm thrilled.

Third, Yoko Ono is following me on Twitter! Okay, she's following over 19,000 people, but that's a really cool email to get. Sample tweet? "In the middle of the night I wake up in the dark." God, I love her.

So the whining needs to stop, at least for a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the article acceptance! We'll toast it Monday.

    ReplyDelete