Saturday, October 25, 2008

An Update

Looking at my old blog, it's been a while since I posted anything of real substance about the structure and style my life has taken in the last few weeks, mainly with the start of the semester. I wrote about tenure, which is moving along. I just wait for responses from various committees and individuals. Other than that, I have three administrative appointments this year. Yes, three. I continue serving as Director of First-Year Reading and Writing. My third year as director starts in January. This year, I'm also Director of Gender Studies, which I'm very excited about. The program is not that old, and there's a lot I can do for it, including just creating a website and doing some basic promotion. Then I'm also Coordinator of the Emerging Technologies Pilot Program, which comes out of the Provost's Office. We're funding nine faculty members in the spring as they incorporate new technologies into their classes.

It's no wonder I've been talking about getting less and less sleep, which is really my own fault. I finally realized over the last couple of days that, while I have a fair number of responsibilities this year, I don't have to do it all right now. That's not exactly breaking news, but consciously thinking it was a relief. Sure, there are deadlines for some things, but other things just have to get done this year. Of course, even typing that out makes me feel a bit guilty, like I'm not doing my job, even though I've been doing quite a bit lately.

And so I add more to the list. I'm really excited because I'm taking a class at NYU next semester. I've been accepted as a University Associate, which gives me library access and allows me to audit a course. I found something in Performance Studies on Wednesday afternoons, which is the one day I can get to NYC. The course examines the relationship between entertainment and law, and it's being taught by professors from law and performance studies. Yes, some people thinking I'm crazy driving to New Haven to catch a train to NYC every week. But I'm really looking forward to it. It'll get old at some point, I know. But when I was in high school, I dreamed about going to NYU but never thought it was possible. Basically, I didn't believe in myself enough to think I could do it. So this feels like something that would make the seventeen-year-old me happy. And it will help me to finish that Wojnarowicz article I've been circling around for awhile. It will be going out to a journal in the summer!

So, yeah, I'm going crazy some days. I'm not a fan of having several meetings in a row. I had two days like that last week, and Monday looks no better. But I'm getting some good things done, or at least trying to remember that I have the chance to get good things done when I start freaking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment