Monday, December 13, 2010

Action

Oh, in the coming year, I am all about action.  If you look at my research blog, you will see a list of general projects on the right.  By summer 2012, I plan to have made serious headway on all of those projects.  Some will be done, and some will be drafted, and some will be researched.  But I am planning to spend the next year-and-a-half making serious headway on my scholarship, building a foundation that I can use to create what I need to create to go up for full professor in a few years.

When I started this job, I read that the research that gets you tenure is done in the first three years on the job.  You go up for tenure in years six or seven, but a lot of work has to get done early to make time for the academic publishing process.  That's why I'm making serious plans for the next eighteen months or so.  I'll be working on things for the next few years if I want to go up for full professor around the time I turn fifty.  But a good, solid year of concentrated work will lay just the foundation I need so that I can enjoy the process and not stress out.

At least, that's the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment