Saturday, July 18, 2009

Today at the Hill-Stead Museum

Hill-Stead Museum, Farmington, CT

This summer, I'm taking a photography class at the local community college. It's a continuing education class and not an intense, structured, traditional course. Basically, starting today, we meet at a different outdoor location and shoot for three hours. The instructor walks around and answers any of our questions as they arise. Today, we met at the Hill-Stead Museum, which is only a few miles from my place. I drive by it all the time but have never been, and I need to go more. There are lots of trails and spaces for walking. But today was humid, humid, humid, and I was drenched with sweat before I took the first ten photos (of the 230 I ended up taking for the day). I bet it's beautiful there in the spring and fall. On the first good fall day of the season, I plan to find out!

I've already learned a bit about my camera and reminded myself of things I learned in previous classes years ago. Today, I even played with black-and-white, which is the style of photography I love, but I never took the time to figure out how to do it on my camera until today (and only the basics at that since I've learned my camera can do even more). I posted my twelve favorite photos on Flickr, and I'd love any comments or feedback, since that's the one thing missing from the class (because we're out shooting all the time, and I think they want to keep it stress free). I'll even be adding some to the photo blog for a while.

2 comments:

  1. I only just saw that you were looking for some feedback, so I commented on a couple of these shots. You're doing great! I like that you're taking a class. It sounds like you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes! Any comment, anytime. It always helps, sometimes later when something hits me.

    ReplyDelete