Friday, June 12, 2009

Sadie Benning Still Rocks

Whew, what a long yet quick week, if that makes any sense. I can't believe I've been here since Sunday. That's a pretty good amount of time, but it went by fast. Yet I'm really ready to get home. There are several people here staying until Sunday since they allow us to stay in the dorms until then, but I'm ready to get home, though I'm certainly glad I had the week. As usual when I do something like this, I see the immediate benefits and can note certain things that I will be saying in my classes this fall based on what I've learned this week, but I'll also not recognize the full effect of being here for awhile.

Tonight, as I planned to do all week, I rode the subway up to the Whitney since it's pay-as-you-go night and they are showing Sadie Benning's latest video project, Play Pause. I saw her early stuff years ago when I was working in the gallery in Houston. I even got a bootleg copy (supposedly). But I had no idea what she's been doing in the last decade or so. This video project is very different from that early work, at least on the surface, but she still has her queer edge, I was very happy to see. I bought the book that went with the exhibit, thrilled to see that it had some essays and an interview with her. The geek in me got all jazzed up at the thought of reading more about her work. Oh, the photoconceptualism exhibit on the fifth floor rocked, too.

For now, though, I think I'll go back to the dorm, pack up, lie on the bed to read, and just get ready to go home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment