Saturday, June 20, 2009

Ready for a Road Trip

June 2009 Road Trip

The list of songs above is for the CD I just burned, something I plan to have going in the car as I hit the highway tomorrow for a six-hour drive to Pennsylvania. The important thing about a road-trip CD for when I'm driving alone is that it must contain songs that embody the maximum potential for singing as loud and long as possible. I admit that this CD looks a lot like a current playlist for your typical top-40 radio station. In fact, the other day I was driving to campus and heard four of these songs right in a row. But, hey, that's what's getting me singing and car dancing (shoulder movements and hand gestures).

I'm off to State College for the Rhetoric Society of America's seminar on Visual Rhetoric: Photojournalism and Public Culture. The readings look great, as you can see on the website, and I'm looking forward to it. It should be quite a switch from my time at NYU last week. First of all, that was in a loud, crowded city, and this is in central Pennsylvania surrounded by trees and mountains. At NYU, the attendees all taught at smaller, teaching-intensive schools where I, at 3/3, had one of the smallest teaching loads of everyone there. Scanning the emails of participants at this week's seminar, I'll be surrounded by people from much larger, research schools. I think I'll be from the smallest school there. And I stayed in a dorm at NYU where I had to bring my own sheets and towels and did not have any internet or other media outlets in the room except what I brought with me. And in PA, I'll be in staying at a major hotel chain with television, internet, and daily maid service. And I stayed at NYU for free, while paying for RSA on my own. But none of this is a negative about either place or workshop. It's just another time where I'm living in liminal space, which I've grown to love.

All that said, I am looking forward to July, when I will have much, much more time to myself. Still, I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow's drive. I'll be the freaky guy singing and dancing by himself on the Pennsylvnia Turnpike.

No comments:

Post a Comment